Saturday, December 23, 2006

What do I think about the new title?

Last night Mel asked me to write a blurb about what I think of the new title Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Since I really have no idea, even after 3 days of research, this was difficult. Here's what I sent her:
I am still struggling with what it may signify and I suspect that like 'Spinners End' it is unguessable. The words are somber, archaic, poetic, even melodramatic -- and incomprehensible to me, even after reading many excellent theories. My best guess is that the Deathly Hallows is both an ancient, powerful place and an object or objects. If you press me I will say that the Department of Mysteries or the Forbidden Forest may hold the key. And I really want to know what her other two titles were.
Be careful what you ask for. This morning Pablo from Harry Potter Latino sent me a heads up that he had discovered three titles that had been registered on December 5th with the UK Patent Office! The registrations are legitimate, but are they really true alternatives, or are they smokescreen for wily researchers like Pablo? Heh. Just what I need, another imponderable before I've even had my coffee. The other two titles he found were "Heart of Ravenclaw" and "Deadly Veil." They are identical to the registration for "Deathly Hallows." Mil gracias, Pablo!

No comments: