Saturday, November 24, 2007

Here, there be artwork

Last week I met author/illustrator James A. Owen and he told me about Every Picture Tells a Story, a store in Santa Monica California that sells artwork from children's books. I found all kinds of wonderful artwork, prints by David Wiesner, Mo Willems and David Shannon, but also a series of Mary GrandPre Potter prints I hadn't seen for sale before -- AND concept art from the movies. Now I have to figure out how I can afford one.

P.S. I am enjoying Owen's book Here, There Be Dragons, very much! He drew a dragon in every book he signed, and gives pointers on drawing them on his blog.

1 comment:

Eeyore said...

Some of the Mary GrandPre art is also on bookmarks that are now very hard to find. I have the Mirror of Erised,Expelliarmus, Counting the Days, Rescue of Sirius, Enchanted Car, Harry and the Golden Snitch. They all have Warner Brothers on the back and don't credit either artist. Interesting.

What's even more interesting is that they include quotes from the books, most from Bloomsbury, even though the art work is from Mary GrandPre.

The others that I have are Expecto Patronum, and two from Goblet of Fire--Harry and the Dragon, and Harry fighting the Grindylows, and Priori Incantatum. They're great. For a while Borders had them; that's where I got mine anyway. I'd love to have one of the originals or a print, but the book marks will have to do. I guess I should do something with them besides just sticking them all in my Hufflepuff mug, eh?

Eeyore